World Middle East
Kushner tells Netanyahu: disarm Hamas to launch phase 2 of Gaza peace plan
US envoy Jared Kushner met Israel's prime minister in Jerusalem to push forward the second phase of the Gaza peace plan, which calls for Hamas's disarmament. Netanyahu has so far rejected the text, while Minister Ben Gvir has called for targeted killings in the Strip.

US envoy Jared Kushner met Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem on Monday to discuss the second phase of the American peace plan for Gaza. The meeting, which began in late morning, aims to overcome the rejection Netanyahu had voiced against the roadmap drawn up by Washington.
The plan calls for the disarmament of the Islamist movement Hamas and the withdrawal of the Israeli army from Palestinian territory, where troops currently control more than 60% of the area. Hamas had given its approval at the end of July. Netanyahu, however, officially rejected the text, demanding "genuine" disarmament of the movement.
On Sunday, in Egypt, Kushner had already met members of the Hamas leadership, pressing for verifiable disarmament measures and for the exclusion of the movement from any future role in Gaza's government. He also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and representatives of Qatar and Turkey, the mediating countries in the file.
Hamas, which has governed Gaza since 2007 and claimed responsibility for the October 7, 2023 attack in Israel, announced in July its intention to dissolve its civilian administration and transfer its responsibilities to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza, a technocratic body created by the Peace Council set up by US President Donald Trump. A Hamas official said the movement had asked Kushner to press Netanyahu to accept the plan's second phase.
Eight Muslim countries, including Egypt, Qatar and Turkey, condemned Israel's rejection of the roadmap in a joint statement, calling it an obstacle to efforts for a lasting peace.
Ben Gvir's remarks
As talks continue, Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir has called for targeted killings in Gaza. In a podcast with a former hostage, he said that every night in the Strip, "targeted eliminations" should be carried out against 30 or 40 people. He described the targets as "people who should not be alive."
Hamas and Israel accuse each other of violating the ceasefire that took effect in October 2025. On Sunday, several people were wounded in shootings and Israeli army attacks in central and southern Gaza, according to the territory's Civil Defense, which operates under Hamas authority. The Israeli army said it had responded to a threat from Islamic Jihad, an ally of Hamas.
Since the truce began, more than 1,260 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza, according to the territory's Health Ministry, whose data is considered reliable by the UN. During the same period, Israel recorded the deaths of five soldiers and one civilian contractor working for the Defense Ministry.
Comments
There are no comments yet. Yours can be the first voice.